2011-10-07

Review : Bigfoot Networks Killer Wireless-N 1102

Few days ago, I've decided to buy a new WLAN controller for my laptop because the embedded one does not support 5GHz Wi-Fi aka 802.11an

After having read a quick review on Anandtech , I decided to replace my Intel Centrino Wireless N 1030 adapter by the wall breaking Bigfoot Networks Killer Wireless-N 1102.

It cost me around 30€

Here is the mini PCI-E module with the two antenna connectors.

Fits perfectly inside my DELL Vostro 3350 next to the Crucial C300 

Driver Installation
I downloaded the driver (40MB) for Windows 7 x64 on the official website and installed it as my Intel WLAN Module was still in place.

When I installed the Killer Wireless-N 1102, it was automaticcaly recognized by Windows and ready to fire :)


Signal Quality
This is before, with Intel Centrino Wireless N 1030
17 access points !


At the same place with the Bigfoot Networks Killer Wireless-N 1102
44 access points !
Good news, I can reach a lot of new networks I never saw before.

Channels 
However, there is a weird thing, my home network use the channel 13 and I can't see it on the graph... This is probably due to the regional Wi-Fi  channel configuration (11 channels for USA, 13 for the rest of the world)...

I tried to find this parameters in the Windows settings but I was unsuccessful. Anyway, after few seconds, my laptop connects to my home network on the 13rd channel... I need to go deeper

Still writing this article

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts