2011-09-27

How to make Windows Color Management work

My Dell Vostro 3350 screen is very bad calibrated. Everything looks ugly and cold by default!

Unfortunately I don't have any Color probe to create a custom ICC Color Profile but I found one on this excellent website : http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Vostro-3350-Subnotebook.54680.0.html

Anyway, the point is, I got my ICC color profile and I want to use it on Windows 7 but when I install it, it doesn't want to apply !

Here is how I got it work :

Go to the color profile panel


In the advanced tab, click on change system defaults.


The same windows appear, but as Administrator. Again, go to the advanced tab and check if the "Use Windows Display Calibration" is thicked.

Now go back to the Devices tab and import your Profile.
You will also import another profile, pick any of the default ones.
Select it and Set it as Default profile


Then select the profile you really want to apply and set it as default. At this point, the profile should apply in real time. If not, try calibrating your screen with Windows tool and re do all these steps.


Potentials issues :

If you are using Intel HD Graphics like me, the igfxpers.exe process might reset the profile to a bad value each time your screen is blinking or the UAC is prompted.

Is this case, juste disable it from the boot with msconfig.

Make it persistent :

Windows suffer from a bug, if you use multiple screen, which is often the case when using a laptop. It will mess up with the color profiles each time you plug in a new screen. To correct this you can use the Task Scheduler to re apply color setting on a plug event :





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts